By this point, the telephone begins to be mass produced.
The most representative telephones of 1910s are devices with a cube-shaped wooden base topped by a nickel-plated column to which the metal handset is attached on the fork with an additional earpiece at the back.
The model used by the State is known as the “Marty 1910”.
However, many manufacturers offered the exact same model, only under their own name: HAMM, AOIP, BURGUNDER, etc.
These models, which were generally placed on a desk, were referred to as “mobile devices”.
Wall versions of these telephones can also be found.
Wall-mounted telephone, 1910. The handset is on the left side of the device, and an additional earpiece is located underneath. The “telephone” part is fixed on a salt box-shaped base. The lower part had two batteries to supply the telephone line with power. It was not until 1924 that the energy for the line was supplied by the telephone exchanges (central battery).
Technicians regularly replaced the batteries and recharged them using an electrolysis system.
On the centre shelf are typical telephone sets from the 1920s
On the left, a Majorelle SIT from 1919; on the right, a telephone from La Séquanaise d’Electricité from 1920; and in the centre, a Grammont telephone from 1920.